Wednesday 12 March 2014

Let's Talk Mental Health... *GASP*




Hello lovelies,

I hope you've all been well and had a lovely weekend. So this week I've decided to do something a little different and instead of focusing on outer beauty, I'm going to be writing more about inner beauty, I guess you could say. Now I know this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, so I completely understand if you're not interested, but I just felt as though it was important for me to address these issues and hopefully I can contribute a little bit to reducing the stigma. As I haven't really planned how I'm going to discuss this, I may end up rambling a little, so just bare with me : )

I wasn't too sure whether writing this would be a good idea or not, because I know it is quite a touchy subject, but I just wanted others out there to understand that - though you may sometimes feel it- you are not alone and there are plenty of others going through similar experiences just like you and people who are able to help you.

The idea of talking about mental health as a whole came to me, when the incredibly sad news broke not to long ago about TV personality Charlotte Dawson taking her own life. Her struggle with depression and on line bullies has been well documented and it just goes to show that just because someone may seem as though they have it all - amazing career, house, cars, etc - doesn't mean they are necessarily happy on the inside.

Currently there's probably less than 10 people that know this about me, but while on the topic of mental health I thought it was only fair that I share my experience. I suffer from both depression and anxiety and have done for quite a while. At first I guess I would say I was quite embarrassed to admit it or tell people what was wrong, but I quickly got over that when I began to realise how sick and tired I was - and still am - of the stigma and taboo that surrounds mental health. I felt as though if people found out, they'd treat me differently or as though I was unstable, but I came to realise that was their problem and not mine and I shouldn't be ashamed of what I was going through

I know that there are many of people who may be against taking medication to treat mental illness and also may not feel comfortable talking with a trained professional about what you're going through. If you are wanting to try a more natural approach, there are many studies that have found exercise and healthy eating can play a massive role when it comes to mental health.

What I want others to realise is that it's okay not be okay, but also to realise that there is help out there and not to be ashamed to ask for it. I know it may not always feel like it, but things eventually will get better, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not the next day, but they will. Now by no means am I a trained professional, these are just my experiences and opinions. 

Yes, make-up and hair products and all things beauty, may make you feel beautiful on the outside, but we have to start making a change and helping ourselves and others to feel beautiful and happy on the inside as well.

Below I've added some links to organisation that you're able to reach out to and receive help. This may not necessarily be for yourself, but maybe for a sibling, friend or parent.

Beyond Blue: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/
The Butterfly Foundation: http://thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/
Lifeline: https://www.lifeline.org.au/


I hope this post has been somewhat beneficial to you and been able to assist you in some way. Have an incredible rest of the week and weekend and I'll see you guys next Wednesday.
P.S Let me know if there are any specific things you'd like to see in the coming weeks i.e.. Make-up tutorials, skin care, hair tutorials, etc. :)


Veroniieecar xx : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts and Homepage